Programs > Brochure
ST | Japanese Language Study Tour
Kyoto, Japan; Muroran, Japan; Sapporo, Japan (Outgoing Program)
GI - Winter,
|Restrictions:||RMIT applicants only|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Key Experience Criteria|
|RMIT College (AUS)/School (VTN):||Design & Social Context (DSC)||RMIT School:||Global, Urban and Social Studies|
|Program type:||Study Tours (Global Intensives)|
|About your Experience|
Program detailsProgram Leader: Hiroko Ohashi
Program Dates: 30 Oct - 17 Nov 2018 (TBC)
Availability: 12 places
- Would you like to complete final stage of LANG1277/ LANG1297 in Japan?
- Would you like to participate in this cross-cultural exchange opportunity at our sister University (Mururoan Institute of Technology) in Hokkaido?
- Would you like to make life-long Japanese friends and gain unforgettable memories while you improve your Japanese?
In addition to language classes which contribute to LANG1277/ LANG1297, lectures will be delivered by both RMIT and MIT academics on topics such as cross-cultural communications and Japanese indigenous culture in Hokkaido and history.
Assessments will include public research presentations in Japanese in front of MIT university community and the local community.
Students’ experiences will also include;
- lectures delivered by both MIT and RMIT academics on topics such as cross-cultural communications and Ainu indigenous culture and history Japanese
- In/out-class interactive learning programs with MIT students
- A range of exchange activities with MIT students and the local community
- One night Onsen trip with MIT students
- Hokkaido cultural and historic sites/ local tours
- Sapporo city tour
- Home-stay with local Japanese families
- Participation in an International Book Review Competition
The total cost of this program is approximately AU$3,500.
Costs include the following:
- Airfare (to be purchased and paid to the travel agency - approx. $1,850)
- Local tours
- All breakfasts and most dinners in Muroran
- Material fees (approx. $1,600)
Additional costs to consider
- RMIT tuition fee
- Spending money
- Local travel costs
- Visa (if applicable)
Students on approved overseas activities receive complimentary travel insurance (policy number: 41443), although you may require additional cover depending on your circumstances.
For more detailed information, please refer here
- Students will enrol into one of the following Spring 2018 courses:
This program is only open to Diploma of Languages students who are enrolled in LANG1275or LANG1098/1258 in Semester 2, 2018 or who have completed Japanese 6 successfully.
Students who withdraw after August 24 will incur a financial penalty.
Step 1: Students must complete the 2018 Japanese Language and Society Study Tour student application (form avaialble via Canvas)
Step 2: Upload the application via Mobi by clicking the 'Apply Now' button above. Students must complete the following Questionnaires in full:
- General questionnaire
- Short-term programs questionnaire
- Attach your completed 2018 Japanese Language and Society Study Tour student application form
There may be alternative ways to fund your trip. Please check the Scholarships website and Global Experience website for funding options.
Hiroko Ohashi, Coordinator, Japanese Studies
School of Global, Urban and Social Studies