Programs > Brochure
GVT | We BUILD Bangalore
Bangalore, India (Outgoing Program)
|Restrictions:||RMIT applicants only|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||Deadline||Decision Date||Approx. Host Institution Start Date||Approx. Host Institution End Date|
|Winter||2019||15/06/2019 **||Rolling Admission||30/06/2019||24/07/2019|
|NOTE: Only students who having been accepted by Global Citizens for Sustainable Development (GCSD) to participate in their overseas mobility activity for Winter session: 30 June - 14 July 2019 should register here.|
** Indicates rolling admission application/registration process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application/registration deadline.
|Key Experience Criteria|
|RMIT College (AUS)/School (VTN):||Any compatible discipline||RMIT School:||Any compatible discipline, School of Property, Construction and Project Management|
|Program type:||Global Volunteer|
|About your Experience|
- Student Ambassador Contact:
Learn about the program from a student perspective! Contact Karissa Cornell to hear more about her experiences.
- Program Dates:
- Spring/Summer session: 25 November - 9 December 2018
- Winter session: 30 June - 14 July 2019
international youth in development issues in India through providing internship, volunteer and study abroad
opportunities. Vedike works with underprivileged children and families in rural Bangalore. Vedike has been
engaging in rural community development initiatives, such as housing and sanitation projects, since 2010 and running a children’s home for at-risk boys since 2012. In June 2018, Vedike opened a co-educational school called Vedike Global School. Our goal is to provide affordable, quality education to children in rural Bangalore, where literacy rates are low and there are many marginalised communities.
During WE BUILD, students stay at Vedike and are engaged in construction projects to help underprivileged
children and families, alongside local skilled masons and labourers. Students also have the opportunity to
interact with the children living and studying at Vedike, visit homes and temples in the local village and spend one day exploring Bangalore city.
For more information, visit the We Build site.
This program is open to all students.
The approximate cost of this program is $1,650.
This cost includes the following:
- Accommodation (students will be accommodated in dormitory-style accommodation on the Vedike
- Meals (whilst staying on the Vedike campus)
- Transport (to/from the airport and to/from Bangalore on the scheduled day to explore the city)
- All building equipment
Additional Costs to Consider:
- Host country visa (if applicable)
- Additional meals/snacks
- Expenses related to arriving before the program start date and departing after the program end date
- Spending money
- Additional travel insurance coverage
Students on approved overseas activities receive complimentary travel insurance (policy number: 41443), although you may require additional cover depending on your circumstances.
For more detailed information, please refer here.
This program may be for credit. If you would like to seek credit, please check with your program coordinator.
If you're eligible for credit, we recommend that you get the approval in the form of a study plan.
- Apply directly to GCSD by for the Spring/Summer session by 1 October 2018 and for the Winter session by 15 May 2019.
- Pay non-refundable fees of AUD$550 to GCSD/Vedike for the Spring/Summer session by 10 October 2018 and for the Winter session by 25 May 2019.
- Pay total cost of AUD$1100 to GCSD/Vedike for the Spring/Summer session by 1 November 2018 and for the Winter session by 10 June 2019.
- Successful students accepted in to this program will be required to register via Mobi for the Spring/Summer session by 10 November 2018 and for the Winter session by 15 June 2019 by completing the following questionnaires:
- Outbound Student Mobility: General Information
- Short Term Mobility: General Information
For the Spring/Summer session, there are 3 x $1000 Global Experience Mobility Grants available.
There may be alternative ways to fund your trip. Please check the Scholarships website and Global Experience website for funding options.
For program inquiries, please contact the We Build team at firstname.lastname@example.org
For general inquiries, please contact the Global Experience Office at email@example.com