Please note: applications for this program closed in September.
Students who have been accepted in the program will need to complete the registration by clicking on one of the 'Apply/register now' buttons located at the top & bottom of the page.
$1500 grants are available for this program,
thanks to the Australian Government’s New Colombo Plan (NCP)
The RMIT Accounting Asia Leadership Intensive is a two-week intensive of leadership training, workshops and seminars in Indonesia’s fast-growing capital city, Jakarta. The program will cover business trends, international accounting, company management, tax, government and international relations, entrepreneurship and venture capital, HR and cultural norms, marketing and Indonesian culture and history. This program will give you a comprehensive insight into Asian business environments and challenge you to build the tools necessary to become an effective business leader.
This intensive is for anyone who wants an understanding of accounting in the real world, and an understanding of the opportunities and challenges of working across borders.
Dates: 22 January - 5 February 2019
What does the program include?
Seminars, workshops and mentoring
Over the two weeks, you will attend company visits, mentoring sessions and seminars aimed at giving you a broad understanding of the Southeast Asian business environment. Through intensive workshops you will understand accounting standards and challenges in Indonesia and the region, as well as the processes employed by corporations and in emerging markets. Participating organisations may include: Indonesia Australia Business Council; Victorian Government Trade and Investment Office; Deloitte Indonesia; Edelman Indonesia; Telkom Telstra; Tokopedia and many more. You will also gain an understanding of how companies are valued and how risks are assessed prior to investment, with sessions from some of Asia’s most active venture capital firms.
Develop Critical Thinking and Problem Solving Techniques
You will practice negotiating with clients and stakeholders, through a series of workshops aimed at building your transferable skills, including verbal communication skills, and to develop critical thinking in a real life context. You will also learn how negotiations vary across cultures and how you can be effective in a new environment.
You will receive mentoring and feedback throughout the program to make sure you leave with an understanding of what it takes to get the job you want and an understanding of your unique skillset. One mentoring session will be one-on-one so that you can discuss your career goals and skills in depth.
You will attend a business plan competition at the conclusion of the program, where you will work in teams to build a business plan that solves a problem in our economy. Mentors from some of Indonesia’s most successful startups, as well as businesses and venture capital firms will support you throughout the competition and at its conclusion you will pitch your idea to a panel of judges. This hackathon is part of Startup Weekend Jakarta and will be attended by the public, as well as other students from Australia and Indonesia.
RMIT proudly partners with International Internships to deliver this program.
Chris Thompson – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Undergraduate students with an available elective in any degree with an Accounting Major/Minor. Other Business students will be considered
• Gain 12 credit points towards your degree
• Enrol into a Business Internship course: BUSM4471
• If you wish to receive an NCP grant, you must enrol in BUSM4471
PROGRAM COST: $2,140
Additional costs to consider:
- Pre-departure support and information
- Accommodation in twin share rooms
- Airport transfers
- 24/7 availability of International Internships staff during the program
- Transport for all activities organised for the program
- All costs associated with organisational visits and cultural activities
- Some meals (including all breakfasts)
- Assistance with visas, where required
** Travel insurance:
- Visa costs (approx. $50 for Australian citizens)
- Most meals
- Spending money
- A single room is available on request for additional cost
- Tuition Fees for BUSM4471
Students on approved overseas activities receive complimentary travel insurance (policy number: 41443
), although you may require additional cover depending on your circumstances.
For more detailed information, please refer here
$1500 New Colombo Plan funding available for students who meet all the criteria below:
- Australian Citizens (not applicable if the program takes place in a host location in which they hold dual citizenship or permanent residency; or in which they have previously been a citizen or permanent resident)
- Enrolling in the Business Internship course
- Aged between 18 and 28 years of age (inclusive) on 1 January 2019
- Undertaking a Bachelor Degree or Bachelor Honours Degree
- Not be a previous recipient of a New Colombo Plan Mobility Scholarship.
for more information about the New Colombo Plan
There may be alternative ways to fund your trip. Please check the Scholarships website
and Global Experience website
for funding options.
STEP ONE: Apply for this program by visiting International Internships to apply by 30 September 2018.
Complete the questionnaire online and submit the following:
- Current CV/Resume
- Statement of intent, outlining why you would like to participate
STEP TWO:Approved students will be notified by mid-October 2018
STEP THREE: Students who accept their place in the program will then register with RMIT and commence the pre-departure program.