In response to a design brief, you will spend 2 weeks in Malaysia working collaboratively with Multimedia University (MMU) Creative Multimedia students to propose, plan and execute creative digital media works in a diverse range of formats, such as mobile phone applications, interactive installations, virtual reality (VR), augmented reality (AR), video and animation. Through this intensive collaboration, students will receive ongoing critiques and mentoring from academics and industry professionals. You will also visit local studios and galleries in Kuala Lumpur.
Upon returning to Australia, the collaboration between both universities continues off-site for an additional 8 weeks through web-based communication, to enable students to further develop their creative projects through virtual collaboration until final completion. Completed projects will be exhibited in a local gallery in Melbourne and Kuala Lumpur. If you are keen on developing your digital media skills further through a cross-cultural working experience with other digital media creatives, sign up for this study tour!
This study tour is a studio option for the Digital Media Studio 3 or Digital Media Studio 5 course of the BP309 Digital Media program. You must be enrolled in either one of this courses to join this study tour. You will be required to ballot for this studio option before submitting an application on the mobility website. Please contact Li Ping Thong for further details.
BP309 students only.
You must be enrolled in Digital Media Studio 3 (COMM 2747) or Digital Media Studio 5 (COMM 2589) of the BP309 Bachelor of Design (Digital Media) program at RMIT to undertake this study tour.
You will be eligible to obtain 24 credit points for completing this study tour and face-to-face classes after returning from the tour.
Application and Selection:
Step 1: Complete the Digital Media Studio ballot form and select DMCC (Digital Media Creative Collaboration) as your studio option for Semester 1, 2018.
Step 2: Proceed with submitting an application on Mobi for consideration.
Please include the following:
- A personal statement explaining reasons on why you are interested in joining this study tour. Specify the specialisation(s) that you are interested in, your strengths in specific digital media skills (video editing, compositing, VR, programming, etc.), any related experiences, and how you could contribute in the study tour through your participation. For a strong application, please be specific and detailed in your personal statement.
- A PDF file/portfolio/website containing your previous works that showcases your Digital Media skills
Step 3: Students will be informed about the outcome of their application.
Students must register in Mobi by 31 December 2017*
Deadline extended to March 1 2018!
Eligible students accepted on this study tour will receive an Australian Government scholarship of $3000 through the New Colombo Plan (NCP), provided they fulfil the eligibility criteria and funded places remain (see criteria outlined below).
- The total cost of the study tour is approx AUD3000.
Additional Costs to Consider:
- RMIT Tuition Fee
- Host country visa (if applicable)
- Transport fees (airport, cultural tours, studio visits)
- Spending money
- Cultural tour fee
- 15 x $3000 grants available for BP309 (Bachelor of Design - Digital Media) students under the Australian Government’s New Colombo Plan initiative.
To be eligible for an NCP funded place students must be Australian citizens Undertaking an undergraduate degree, 28 years or younger. Students above 28 years old may apply - please consult Li Ping Thong before submitting application.
There may be alternative ways to fund your trip. Please check the Scholarships website and Global Mobility website for funding options.
Note: RMIT provides complimentary Travel Insurance to all students participating in approved programs.