Programs > Brochure
ST | ArtSci@Barcelona Study Tour
Barcelona, Spain (Outgoing Program)
|Restrictions:||RMIT applicants only|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Key Experience Criteria|
|RMIT College (AUS)/School (VTN):||Design & Social Context (DSC)||RMIT School:||Media and Communication|
|Study level:||Postgraduate||Program type:||Study Tours (Global Intensives)|
|About your Experience|
- Tour Leader: Rebecca Young
- Program Dates: 9 – 23 June 2018
- Availability: 10-15 places
Barcelona is the home of Sónar+D, a conference that brings together experts from around the world (technicians, entrepreneurs, artists, and researchers) to present initiatives and tools that will shape the future of music, visuals, interactive content and transmedia platforms.
On this study tour (ArtSci@Barcelona) you will visit the RMIT Europe campus to document examples of the digital transformation of European culture and to develop a range of narratives on this theme.
You will bring an Australasian sensibility to the investigation of European digital culture and contrast the tech scene in Barcelona and Melbourne. Against the backdrop of this unique metropolis on the Mediterranean coast, you will explore how digital innovation may contribute to culture, communication, well-being and prosperity.
Master by coursework students with media and communication skills will be ideally placed to join this study tour. The project work will partly be shaped by the skill sets of the participating students.
TOTAL cost for this study tour is estimated a $AUD3600 - $4800
- $1100 - $1600 AUD for 14 nights accommodation
- $1600 - $2000 AUD for Melbourne - Barcelona return airfares
- $900 - $1200 AUD for transport, meals, & Sónar+D day tickets
- RMIT tuition tee
- Host country visa (if applicable)
- Personal Expenditure
Students are now covered by RMIT’s travel insurance, although you may require additional cover depending on your circumstances. For more info, please refer here.
- Masters by coursework students
You must be enrolled in COMM2539 International Media Collaboration (12cp) in Semester 2 2018 to undertake this program.
This course may be taken as an elective within your home program - check with your program manager/academic advisor for more details.
The COMM2539 International Media Collaboration course includes:
- May 2018: pre-departure planning meeting/s to form project groups of 3-4 students with the required media production skills (Melbourne)
- June 2018: the filming/recording of a media project about an aspect of European culture and technology (Barcelona)
- Mid-Sept 2018: Work in Progress Presentation (Melbourne)
- Mid-October 2018: Submission of completed media project and report (Melbourne)
|9 June 2018||arrive Barcelona|
|10 June 2018||orientation activities with various media organisations|
|11-12 June 2018||plan media productions|
|13-17 June 2018||attend Sónar+D and/or other venues for filming and interviews|
|18-20 June 2018||film additional material|
|21-22 June 2018||cultural and leisure activities around Barcelona|
Application and Selection process
STEP ONE: Complete the Expression of Interest google form by Friday 9 March 2018
Selection will be based on your written application and will be assessed on the following criteria:
- suitable media production and/or communication skills
- interest and/or experience in art and technology projects
- readiness to embark on an intercultural experience
- Grade Point Average to date
STEP TWO: Successful applicants will be notified by Wednesday 14 March 2018 and directed to register via Mobi by selecting ‘Apply Now’ above.
- Once accepted, students must enrol in COMM2539 in Semester 2, 2018.
For 2018 there are:
- 10 x $1000 mobility grants available