Programs > Brochure
RE | Research Projects (Japan: University of Tokyo)
Tokyo, Japan (Outgoing Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Restrictions:||RMIT applicants only|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||Deadline||Decision Date||Approx. Host Institution Start Date||Approx. Host Institution End Date|
|Winter||2019||01/06/2019 **||Rolling Admission||24/06/2019||09/08/2019|
** Indicates rolling admission application/registration process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application/registration deadline.
|Key Experience Criteria|
|RMIT College (AUS)/School (VTN):||Science, Engineering & Health (SEH)||RMIT School:||Engineering|
|Study level:||Postgraduate, Undergraduate||Program type:||Global Work|
|About your Experience|
** Please apply directly to the University of Tokyo's School of Engineering, ESEP (Engineering Summer Education Program) by 15:00 Japan Standard Time on 24 January 2019 **
** Only students who have been accepted by UTokyo should proceed with their registration here. The registration form on Mobi will be opened until 1 June 2019. **
The summer program at the UTokyo’s School of Engineering, called ESEP (Engineering Summer Education Program), is an opportunity for undergraduate and graduate students to participate in scientific research projects at world-leading laboratories. Students from partner universities are eligible to participate.
The program aims to give undergraduate and graduate students from around the world the chance to gain short-term research experience in scientific fields. Students will build their researching skills and expand their international networks. Students will also have the opportunity to work with Japanese students to build friendships and share knowledge they can use in further collaborative efforts.
While the full-time laboratory program is five to six weeks long (depending on the laboratory the student belongs to), the program also provides students with chances to learn about the Japanese culture and language. Additionally, summer program students are welcome to use the UTokyo campus facilities (libraries, health center, gymnasium).
At the conclusion of the program, students must give a presentation in their laboratory and complete a report. Students will receive a Completion Certificate provided the report has been submitted. Program participants will not receive academic credits, units, or grades for their participation.
For more details and a list of available host labs and research topics, please see the list of host labs.
5–6 weeks between 24 June 2019 and 9 August 2019.
Program start dates and duration vary depending on laboratory; please refer to the host lab’s schedule.
UTokyo provides accommodation during the specific program dates, depending on laboratory.
Costs to consider:
- RMIT Tuition Fee (not applicable as this program is not for credits)
- General Living Expenses
- Visa (if applicable)
- Personal Expenditure
Students on approved overseas activities receive complimentary travel insurance (policy number: 41443), although you may require additional cover depending on your circumstances.
For more detailed information, please refer here.
- Undergraduate or graduate students enrolled in a UTokyo partner university (or other institution designated by the School of Engineering) for the entire period of this program.
- Undergraduate applicants must have completed at least two full years of study in a bachelor’s degree program by the time the summer program begins.
- Applicants must remain enrolled at their current home university/institution until the ESEP program ends. If an applicant is in the last year of his/her degree program, the graduation ceremony should take place after 10 August 2019.
- Applicants must have a strong record of excellent academic performance.
- Applicants must have a high level of English proficiency as demonstrated by a minimum TOEFL (iBT) score of 72, or an IELTS overall band score of 5.5 or equivalent.
- Applicants should be interested in pursuing a Ph.D.
- Applicants must not have not taken part in this summer program before.
Not applicable as program participants will not receive academic credits, units, or grades for their participation. Students will receive a Completion Certificate provided the report has been submitted.
Additional Program Requirements
- Students must dedicate themselves fully to participation in the summer program. Students may not take any courses or be employed during the program. Additionally, all students must be able to attend the program for its entire duration.
- Students must live in the accommodation provided by UTokyo.
- Students must respect the work of all laboratory members, participate in activities in the laboratory (including daily life activities), and attend laboratory meetings/gatherings.
- Students must attend all required activities and social events.
- At the conclusion of the program, students must submit a program report to the School of Engineering.
- Students must secure overseas travel insurance in their home countries before coming to Japan.
UTokyo Application / GEO registration Process
- Apply directly for the program through the T-cens online application system by 15:00 Japan Standard Time on 24 January 2019
- You will be required to submit the following:
- Photo (jpeg file)
- Copy of passport (jpeg file)
- Personal statement (formal template)
- Official certificate of enrolment
- Undergraduate academic transcript (for undergraduate students and graduate students)
- Certified academic transcripts from all universities and/or colleges attended (from freshman year to the present).
- Graduate academic transcript (for graduate students)
- Certified academic transcripts from all universities and/or colleges attended (from the first year of graduate school to the present).
- A copy of the TOEFL Examinee Score Report or a copy of the IELTS Test Report Form
- Note: If the applicant is a native English speaker, if the applicant’s first language is English, or if the applicant is a university student in the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand, the applicant is exempt from English test score submission.
- Letter of recommendation
- A letter of recommendation must be issued (up to 2 letters may be submitted; 1 letter is required). The recommendation letter must be from a faculty member at the applicant’s current institution who is familiar with the applicant’s educational background, academic performance, and motivation for attending the 2019 Summer Program. The recommendation letter must be uploaded directly to the T-cens system by the faculty member providing the recommendation. Please refer to the “How to Upload a Letter of Recommendation” guide. (Sample Form)
- You will be required to submit the following:
- Successful applicants must register through this program page with the Global Experience Office (GEO) by 1 June 2019.
If you are one of the 20 selected students from their partner universities (including RMIT), you can receive a stipend of JPY 160,000 (fixed; amount independent of program length) from UTokyo.
There may be alternative ways to fund your trip. Please check the Scholarships website and Global Experience website for funding options.
For enquiries, please contact Adam at email@example.com