- Tour Leader: Dr Pia Interlandi and Sonya Kraan
- Program Dates: 28 January 2018 – 11 February 2019 (final assessment due 22 Feb)
- Availability: 25 places
In January/February 2019 students from the Bachelor of Fashion (Design)(Honours) [BH103] and Bachelor of Arts (Textile Design) [BP121] will travel to Japan for a 2 week global intensive tour for an immersive and practical understanding of traditional and contemporary fashion and textile practices.
In this exciting and flexible learning alternative to the traditional classroom, students will participate in textile making workshops, visit gallery & exhibitions, designers’ studios and cultural institutions as well as retail fashion tours across Kyoto, Nagoya, Arimatsu and Tokyo. In Toyko students will also undertake workshops in a transnational collaboration with fashion students at the BUNKA GAKUEN University.
The emphasis of the tour will be on traditional Japanese techniques and future practices within fashion and textiles.
The approximate total cost of this program is AU $2410**
Costs include the following:
**Prices as of 17/08/18.
- Flights and 12 nights of accommodation (twin share) - $1850 (approx) A group booking will be held with Flight Centre. Students are required to pay for this independently.
- Japan Rail Pass (1 week): $360 (approx.) This will be used to catch bullet trains between all major travel destinations and will be available through Flight Centre.
- Material Fee: $200 (including guided tours, museum/gallery/tour group fees).
Additional costs to consider, but not limited to:
** Travel insurance:
- Local transport card: For use across all Tokyo railways students will be required to obtain and recharge a SUICA card (similar to a MYKI card in Melbourne). Unlimited use for 1 calendar day is approximately $20 AUD.
- Visa: Please note: Australian citizens are not required to obtain a visa to travel to Japan, however if you are an international student it is your responsibility to arrange their visa if necessary.
- RMIT tuition fee
- Personal Expenditure:
- Meals + incidentals: $80 per day. Japan has wonderful assortment of eateries of various levels of price. Accommodation will include breakfast, and there will be 2 group meals on the tour, however students will need to get their own meals outside of these.
Students on approved overseas activities receive complimentary travel insurance (policy number: 41443
), although you may require additional cover depending on your circumstances.
For more detailed information, please refer here
- Only students in Bachelor of Fashion (Design)(Honours), Bachelor of Arts (Textile Design), or Bachelor of Textiles (Design)(Honours)
Application and Selection process
- 12 credit points (course to be confirmed)
STEP ONE: Apply for this program on Mobi by clicking on the "Apply Now" button on this page by 20 September 2018.
Complete the following questionnaires:
- Outbound Student Mobility: General Information
- Short Term Mobility: General Information
- Under Statement of Purpose please address the following: Why do you wish to participate in this Global Intensive Program? How will your participation in this Global Intensive Program assist you in your studies/career?
- Selection will also be based on GPA and academic performance.
STEP TWO: Approved students will be notified by 25 September 2018
- 25 x $1000 Global Experience grants available!
There may be alternative ways to fund your trip. Please check the Scholarships website
and Global Experience website
for funding options.